[CLUG] Advice on LPI

Hamilton, James James.Hamilton at cit.act.edu.au
Thu Jun 9 03:32:41 GMT 2005

CIT unfortunately do not run courses aiming at LPI
certification...however we do run two short courses (Statements of
Attainment) in Linux. One is a very basic introduction course, the
second focuses on SysAdmin issues. Drop me a line off list for more
info.

LPI have established a presence in Australia through Linux Australia
(www.lpi.org.au) and there is a process that allows  for pen and paper
exams to be held in the community just like they were at LCA. This
process involves LPI endorsing people to supervise the exams. There are
a small number of us endorsed currently and we are trying to work out
how to expand that in a manageable way.

I would love to arrange for more exams to be held in Canberra later this
year and think that perhaps this would be a Good Thing To Do as part of
software freedom day. This of course would need people being interested.

In terms of training that is available and is specifically for LPI,
there is some great stuff happening at Granville TAFE in Sydney with
Geoffrey Robertson who runs study groups
(http://www.slug.org.au/training.html). While this is not of much use
for those of us who do not live in Sydney, the material used in these
programs is all available through an open documentation program set up
on sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/lcdp/). Ignore the
releases - all the good stuff is in CVS. No one in Canberra trains for
it specifically.

I would be happy to help with setting up an informal study group using
this material as Michael suggested. I know the curriculum and could help
structure the outline.

Brief Description of LPI for those who don't know what we are talking
about.

LPI (Linux Professional Institute) (www.lpi.org) is a not for profit
organisation that develops and administers vendor neutral certification
exams for Linux. There are two certifications currently: LPIC 1 and LPIC
2. Each certification requires the successful completion of 2 exams ie
(101 & 201) || (201 & 202). These exams can be done at commercial
testing centres for $150 or by pen and paper at LPI.AU sponsored exams
for $60.

James Hamilton
Faculty of Business and IT
Canberra Institute of Technology