[clug] Hi, and advice needed

Mark Woodward markwoodward at internode.on.net
Mon Jan 24 09:45:57 GMT 2005

Hi guys,
Just joined last night which is handy for me as I'm looking
at buying a new computer and would like some advice re linux.
I'm *very* tempted to buy a Dell but must decide before midnight
tonight (24/1/05). This seems pretty good value.
http://dellstore02.dell.com.au/public/cart/configurator.jsp?prd_id=308359&sr
_no=1

hopefully the link will work until midnight so you can take a look.
if not $2545 for a P3.6, 512G DDR2, 250G HD, 19" monitor.
I'd add another 512 Ram, another HD (for linux ?160G), a floppy, and maybe
the better 19" monitor but that's about it.
Questions:

Is linux OK on a Dell? Anyone have experience with Dell?
Being Canberra locals, are there better alternatives?

AMD64 vs P4 3.6 ? This is something to think about! The head says go AMD but
without any knowledge of it, it's just a thought! What do you think?

With any system I end up with I'll get a second HD as I'm working at the
Canberra Hospital as a (L plater) system admin and as you're probably aware
the government network is Windows. So XP on 1 HD and Libranet 3 on the
other.

As a guide to what I'd be after:
1. I'm 38 yrs old, and 6 years into a 8?yr IT degree, networking, (via
distance ed) through Monash Uni. So, some programming, assignments , limited
graphics/sound etc

2. I'd like to do a lot more video/ digital camera stuff as I've got one and
also have 2 kids 3 and 12 months. My current system (866, 256Ram, 20G HD)
puts an end to that idea though. But with the power of new systems now a
days I'm likely to have a go.

3. Eventually, when uni's over and I have a bit more time, I'll probably get
back into recording music again.

4. Definitely want to continue programming (java, perl, php, python...)

5. and just the basic surfing, email etc

Another thing I'd be interested in (and this is not a troll, but if it seems
that way just ignore) what distro do most in this group run? I've been using
Libranet 2.8 and will probably buy 3.0 when it comes out (now in beta). But
if a few people here use straight sid and won't might me picking there
brains occassionally I will probably just d/l the iso when it's available. I
doubt I'd have the knowledge to install gentoo but that looks good also. If
the majority run something else could you let me know. I'd rather be part of
the masses until I become more proficient!

And finally, the meetings every last thursday of the month. Would a semi
newbie be out of place?

Thanks,

Mark Woodward
(in Flynn by the way)