[clug] detecting rogue dhcp servers

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Thu Jan 20 02:13:33 GMT 2005

Yeah, I have been looking at dhcping (debian c version, not the perl
version <http://c3rb3r.openwall.net/dhcping/>).

What I need is a simple program that sends out a broadcast, just like a
machine waking up, a : "Uhhh, where am I, who am I, please someone,
anyone give me an IP" type request.

I can't get dhcping to do this.

I have to specify server IP, the client IP before I get an answer.  I'm
not sure why.  Perhaps putting in an IP of 255.255.255.255 doesn't
cause dhcping to send a broadcast.  I haven't done much c programming
of interfaces at this level, so I think I have to set some option to
make it broadcast.

It has :
flag=1;
setsockopt(dhcp_socket,SOL_SOCKET,SO_BROADCAST,(char *)&flag, sizeof
flag) < 0

but maybe I have to set something somewhere else.

Any of you guys a socket guru?

Kim

On 2005 Jan 19, , at 10:25 AM, Paul Hampson wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 04:02:03PM +1100, Kim Holburn wrote:
>> Does anyone know of software that detects "rogue" dhcp servers?
>
> Something like dhcpping (I think) can probably send out a
> DHCP request, and see what responses you get.
>
> --
> Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
> 8th year CompSci/Asian Studies student, ANU
> The Boss, Bubblesworth Pty Ltd (ABN: 51 095 284 361)
> Paul.Hampson at Anu.edu.au
>
> "No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
> -- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"
>
> This email is licensed to the recipient for non-commercial
> use, duplication and distribution.

Kim Holburn
Network Manager
National Information and Communication Technology Australia
Ph: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 417820641 F: +61 2 6230 6121
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au  - PGP Public Key on request
Cacert Root Cert: http://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=16 ->
http://www.cacert.org/cacert.crt
Aust. Spam Act: To stop receiving mail from me: reply and let me know.

Use ISO 8601 dates [YYYY-MM-DD]
http://www.saqqara.demon.co.uk/datefmt.htm
                           -- Lloyd Biggle, Jr. Analog, Apr 1961