[clug] Linux/UNIX laptop?

Rob Weir rweir at ertius.org
Wed Jan 5 13:44:24 GMT 2005

On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 05:33:28AM +1100, Pearl said
> Hi
>
> I have a feeling that my desktop is dying on me.  I've been having that
> feeling for a while now but I think that right now it might really be
> starting to begin the final descent.  So, a new computer.  Since I will
> probably be leaving Australia in the middle of next year for a couple of
> years, I want a laptop.  Unfortunately, I'm trying to write my thesis here so
> I need a new computer as quickly as possible.  Actually this is the reason
> why I've been trying valiantly to ignore the dying signs.  I was hoping my
> box would last until at least until I've handed in my thesis...So, some
> advice - what laptops have:
>
> 1) Good international warranties.
> 2) Good Linux support. And by this I mean works out of the box, not hunt down
> a driver from internet and then spend hours trying to make it work.  I've
> done it before and don't want to repeat the experience.  Not to mention I
> don't have time right now for fiddling around with stuff.

I can highly recommend an IBM x40...everything works (sound, wireless,
ethernet, pcmcia, vga out, sleep/resume, suspend-to-disk) etc, and it's
ready, out-of-the-box (bar sleep, http://people.ubuntu.com/~daniels/x40/
for warty) on Ubuntu at least.  1.2kg with the small battery, a bit more
with the 6-hour one.  I hear ANU folk get a discount, too.  Comes
standard with a 3-year international warranty.

> I've been thinking of getting a Mac.  I like the interface fine, but how well
> do Macs run Linux programs?  Besides the general desktop Linux stuff like

Note you can just run the linux PPC port...both Debian and Ubuntu (and
I'm sure others) work wonderfully.  If you do go with linux, the main
issue is that airport extreme isn't support at all, but sleep/resume
should work on everything aside from new nvidia-based machines (I
think).

-rob

--
Words of the day:           Cocaine event security Vickie Weaver Exon Shell PGP