[clug] user mode network directory sharing?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Wed Aug 17 06:00:58 GMT 2005

On 17 Aug 2005, at 15:40, Hugh Fisher wrote:

> For remote collaboration I'd like to be able to share one directory
> over TCP with another (known) host for a given session

Not TCP as such, but what about using smbfs over openvpn?

Your machine is configured as a Samba server and OpenVPN end point.
Other end connects using OpenVPN, then mounts the Samba share using
smbfs.

smbfs has the shortcoming of squashing all access to the same user/
group, and IIRC the same permissions for everything - so it can be a
pain sometimes. At least it's easier to set up and a little quieter
than NFS.

Alex Satrapa             M: +61 4 0770 5332
grail at goldweb.com.au     W: http://homepage.mac.com/alexsatrapa