More Phising or not ? (was) Re: [clug] Please help me update my address book on Ringo

Stephen Jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Sat Apr 23 00:49:47 GMT 2005

Luke is right - spammers do tag the source & hitting the link validates an
address as 'active'.
This seems to be a genuine service put to an interesting use or
an unintended invite to the list.

I would not expect this particular attempt to lead to more spamming of the
list... It is like the "Irish" virus - 'would you mind deleting all the
files from your hard disk for me'.

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005, Luke Worth wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:10, Stephen Jenkin wrote:
> > I did check 'ringo.com' - it exists & the link works.
> > > http://ringo.com/i?uid=mUxrWAunnXBV.yAs&
>
> For future reference, spammers like to 'tag' their links with email addresses.
> If anyone even hits that page, it means their email address exists so they'll
> send more spam.
>
> Luke
> --

Steve Jenkin, Unix Sys Admin