[clug] RSync Question....

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Sep 28 00:01:59 GMT 2004

On 25 Sep 2004, at 09:34, Martin Pool wrote:

> So you want to rsync the directory instead:
>
>   rsync --blah /cygdrive/c/Donovan/Pacc/ dest::donovan/donovan/pacc

The "-a" or "-r" options are required for copying entire trees. And
note the trap for young players:

The command

   rsync -a /cygdrive/c/Donovan/Pacc dest:donovan/donovan/pacc

copies the directory "Pacc" into the destination directory, so you'll
end up with "donovan/donovan/pacc/Pacc"

The command

   rsync -a /cygdrive/c/Donovan/Pacc/ dest:donovan/donovan/pacc

copies all the things in the "Pacc" directory to the destination
directory, so you'll end up with the directory "donovan/donovan/pacc"
containing the same stuff as /cygdrive/c/Donovan/Pacc.

The trailing "/" is important.

"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we
can solve them."  --Isaac Asimov