[clug] Thoughts on the CLUG website

Andrew Pollock andrew-clug at andrew.net.au
Mon Sep 27 12:50:28 GMT 2004

Hello world.

I've scored access to update the CLUG website as part of my "meeting
organiser" capacity.

I'd like to overhaul it, but will go with whatever consensus is reached here
(and I probably won't do much/anything until after the end of semester so I
don't get distracted).

My personal thoughts are:

* a blog aggregator (ala Planet CLUG)

* a Wiki (ala www.wlug.org.nz) (and I do like their Myers Briggs Type
  Indicator[1] - could be very handy for knowing how to handle certain list
  participants)

* Not something like PHPNuke, for a few reasons:
	1) I loathe web-based forum thingies
	2) We've got a mailing list. There's no need to fragment the mailing
	list by having people use a web forum thingy
	3) PHPNuke and derivatives don't have a terribly good security
	track-record, and the CLUG site lives on a shared server.

* Maybe something with mugshots and profiles etc (but this could be handled
  with the blog aggregator, but then not everybody blogs)

* People's PGP keys

* A CLUG web of trust map

* I like dynamic data-driven stuff. It'd be good to have a list of previous
  talks, and/or upcoming talks. I've already got a database and some code
  that could drive this.

So let's have a discussion, see what consensus we reach, and I'll look at
implementing it down the track.

And if there's any graphically inclined people that want to have a crack at
a logo... Maybe we could have a contest? Or did we already do that for the
LCA regional delegates program? (I've got a sneaking suspicion we did, what
happened to the logo?)

regards

Andrew

[1] http://www.wlug.org.nz/MyersBriggsTypeIndicator