[clug] [Wanted] Someone to manage CLUG meetings

Andrew Pollock andrew-clug at andrew.net.au
Tue Sep 7 00:37:36 GMT 2004

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 01:34:19AM +1000, Brett Worth wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 01:01:09AM +1000, Kristy Bennett wrote:
>
> > For the attention of John Telek and for the information of CLUG list
> > members:
>
> OK.  Its late and I'm tired so its time for a stupid post...
>
> What I like about CLUG:
>
> 	1. The Linux
> 	2. The technical talks
> 	3. The generous people who give their time for others
> 	4. The pizza
>
> <RANT>
> Things I dont like about CLUG:
>
> 	1. Whenever I go there I always feel like an outsider so calling
> 	   it the ANU Linux Users Group would be appropriate.
> 	   Maybe I'm just socially inept.
>
> 	2. Does everyone there actually know each other?  Would name tags be a lame
> 	   suggestion?  I think it would help those not part of the "In Crowd".

Maybe we should have another keysigning session as an excuse to identify
each other? I certaininly participate/lurk on the list a lot more than I
attend meetings, and so I know a lot of people by name, and I recognise a
lot of the faces at the meetings, but of course, putting the two together
means I have to go to everyone "Hi, I'm Andrew, who the hell are you?" and
then I have to remember all the names...

> 	3. I always end up arriving late and therefore have to sit within the
> 	   dreaded 3 metre radius of the door and have to suffer in constant
> 	   beeping of some security device.  Does that thing drive anyone
> 	   else insane?

Yes, the ANU DOTL alarms are annoying...

> Finally...
>
> A first year ANU software engineering student I know tried to attend CLUG two
> meetings ago.  A bit shy and non-agressive.  He tried the door and it was shut.
> He knocked some people turned to see him there then look back at the speaker.
> He knocked again.  Someone tried the door which wouldn't open (or was difficult
> to open) and sat down again.  He went home.  Nice one.
> </RANT>

That is rather suboptimal...

--
linux.conf.au 2005   -  http://linux.conf.au/  -  Call For Papers now open!