[clug] Turning NMEA commands into maps

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Thu Nov 11 21:58:09 GMT 2004

Brad Hards wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 07:04 am, Michael Still wrote:
>
>>Heya
>>
>>I have a dump of some NMEA commands which was my drive home last night.
>>An apt-cache search and a google doesn't show me any open source
>>software that can render that into a map, although it's possible that
>>I'm searching for the wrong stuff.
>
> http://www.pygps.org/ and gpsd?
>
> Or how about using:
> http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/gpsd/trunk/nmea_parse.c?rev=1092&view=markup
> as a start, and rendering it yourself?

Interesting. I'm most interested at the moment in a simple map on a
white background, so I might avoid GPS drive (which looks pretty ugly
too) and have a look see at this stuff.

Thanks,
Mikal

PS: NMEA is actually quite easy to parse, and I wrote a microparser this
morning in about 20 minutes, but having someone else do it is nice...

PPS: Hey! I went to school with that guy (the GPSD fellow). I thought
he'd moved to the US...

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com) | "The geek shall inherit
http://www.stillhq.com            |  the earth"

Linux.conf.au 2005 -- Quite like an excellent Linux and Open Source
conference. http://lca2005.linux.org.au