[clug] YDL Software Request

Richard Jenkins rjenkins at alphalink.com.au
Mon Feb 9 02:59:45 GMT 2004

Thanks to both of those list members for offering to copy the YDL version 3
'iso's' for me.  Their help is sincerely appreciated.  I have purchased GPL
versions of this software before ... but the comany has tightened up their
distribution policy and now all that I have seen on offer in Australia is
geniune disks but with NO support ... for large amounts of money!  Pretty
good for what is essentially 'free' software!

As a side issue I note that this policy is becoming more widespread i.e. that
of 'selling' linux software (which includes large amounts of free software on
the disk).  It seems we are asked to pay for their 'splash screens' and other
'improvements'.

I am sticking with YDL because in the past their software seemed to install
and run better on my iMac ... better than alternatives such as SuSE 7.3,
Debian ppc (2.2), and even the old linuxppc.  I am currently using Mandrake
9.1 (ppc) but it was a cow of a thing to install.  I did win out in the end!

Once again, my thanks to Stephen and Mark for their prompt offers of help.  I
want to make this iMac really sing!!  It does need a new battery though so I
guess it's off to DSE or Jaycar for a new one.

Cheers

Richard