[clug] Dlink DSL-302G modem

Dennis M. Gray d0325mgray at fareast.com.au
Mon Feb 9 02:15:25 GMT 2004

I recently purchased one of these for use on an ADSL line with a
static IP address from my ISP in Sydney. The modem has a built-in
web administrator, assigned to port 80. I want to be able to route
packets coming in on the public IP address to a web server on my
LAN. This is not a problem as I merely set up an NAT rule on the
modem. The vendor's documentation specifies that the port number on
the modem can be configured to be something other than 80. This is
what I want to do (mainly because I want to be able to configure
the modem remotely and need to use a diffent port for that
service). Unfortunately, there is no option in the administration
menu that allows me to specify the new port.

I rang DLink in Sydney this morning and was told that the firmware
for these modems is "customised" for ISPs and that I won't be able
to do what I want. I would say the word should be "crippled" but I
don't see myself getting anywhere with the vendor.

Does anyone have any alternative solutions?

Thanks
--
Dennis M. Gray
Sydney Phone:    (02) 9310 7907