[clug] [PMX:#] Problem server

Simon Haddon simon at sibern.com.au
Sun Aug 22 01:31:23 GMT 2004

Collins, Steve wrote:

>NIC is now what I'm thinking.  As for how to test it...

Easiest way is to try a new NIC and see what happens.  You could spend
hours/days checking a network card but they only cost $25 to buy.  The
other thing you want might want to do is make sure you have a visible
console window open so that you can see any error messages.  Also , do
you logs show any signes of a network card reset by the NIC driver???
The TLAN drivers would do that.  Don't know about yours.  Also, if you
are running X then this will probably prevent you from seeing any error
messages as you are not at a console and if the whole machine is frozen
then you can't switch back to a virtual console.

Simon