[clug] Startup problem

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Sun Apr 11 03:13:00 GMT 2004

Steve wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Thanks very much for the help.
>
> Ctrl Alt F1/F2 had no effect I'm afraid and I was not able to get into
> single user mode.

You can go into single user mode by typing something like
	linux single
at the bootup prompt. I think RH 7.1 uses lilo which give you
a "lilo:" prompt, where you type the above command.

The default it probably "linux" which automatically runs after
a short wait for a user command. If I recall correctly then you
can hit the Tab key and lilo displays all the available boot
setups (which "linux" is one of).

It is not a bad idea to find out how to do it now, rather that
when you have a problem next time.

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.org/eyal/>