[clug] DVD burning under Linux

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Mon Sep 1 17:40:12 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 17:10, Damien Elmes wrote:
> Darren Freeman <daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au> writes:
>
> > Unfortunately they don't let me burn the image of a hard disc that's 3.5
> > GB... So I've had to run split on them.
>
> Uh - what? Unless there's some bizarre restrictions in the GUI
> interfaces, you should be able to stream the data directly from
> mkisofs into your burner - no interim images required. Just make sure
> your machine is fast enough to do so, first - again, -dummy is good
> for this.

Oh. I thought there must be a filesize problem with ISO9660. Both GUIs I
tried told me that they can't handle that size, but I was OK after
splitting (which is probably a good thing anyway, >2GB is forbidden on
FAT32).

Man I wish people would move into the 21st century and remove
unnecessary file size restrictions. While we're at it, let's remove
unnecessary installs of Winblowz ;)

Have fun,
Darren