[clug] OT - Tab Completion

Michael Carden michaelc at panasonic.com.au
Fri Nov 28 09:28:00 EST 2003

This is somewhat off topic, but the surprised reaction of a few Cluggers at
last night's meeting prompts me to post it here.

I muttered something about the fact that Unix-style command line tab
completion exists within the Windows NT*/2k/XP series OS, but that for
reasons best known to themselves, M$ have it disabled by default.

For those who need to use the command line in Windows, here's how to
activate tab completion:

Start -> Run -> regedit

Drill down to:

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CommandProcessor

Select:

CompletionChar

Change it to 09

Save and exit. Open a command prompt [which you have probably assigned to a
keyboard shortcut like ctrl-alt-d if you use it often] and tab away to your
heart's content.

I know that many of you would rather gouge your own eyes out than hammer
away at Windows, but some people have no choice.

Cheers,
MC
* I'm pretty sure it's all NT OSes, but I no longer have an NT box to
confirm it on. Definitely 2k and XP though.
This e-mail is intended only to be read or used by the addressee.
It is confidential any may contain confidential information.

If you are not the intended recipient any use, distribution,
disclosure or copying of this e-mail or any attachments
is strictly prohibited.

Confidentiality is not waived or lost by reason of the mistaken delivery to you.

If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately
by return e-mail, fax or telephone and delete the e-mail and any attachments.