[clug] Steep penalty for leaving Netspace

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Sat Nov 15 00:02:50 EST 2003

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 12:07:59PM +1100, Michael James wrote:
> My brother wants to leave Netspace
>  as he is moving to a transact enabled house.
>
> Unfortunately he is 5 months into a 12 month contract,
>  and Netspace are asking for 1/2 the remaining fees, (~$150)
>  PLUS a $100 administration charge.  That's $250 lost.

Be careful here. Moving is as a rule considered the same as a new
connection. There's no discount for moving phone lines and there isn't any
for moving ADSL either.

Also, on the wholesale level Telstra has a disconnection charge if you
disconnect within the first 6 months. They don't care if you're the same
customer or not, if you disconnect a link within 6 months of connecting it,
you pay.

Similarly, Netspace has to aggregate bandwidth and allocate stuff in
advance. That costs money too. I guess it's not really fair but them's the
breaks.

--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/