[clug] Mounting an SD card

Robert Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Thu May 29 00:38:07 EST 2003

I think I am on solid ground on this one: Secure Digital (SD) media is not
(yet) supported on Linux and other Open Source O/S's as the SD interface
contains proprietry code belonging to some industry group that are interested
in protecting the code (security by obscurity?).

This is an issue for the Compaq (HP) iPaq handhelds running Familiar Linux as
they have a MMC/SD slot and can read/write MMC media, but not SD media.

On the other hand, the Sharp Zaurus (also running Linux - it's native O/S) has
an MMC/SD slot but a (as I understand it) binary-only kernel module to
support reading/writing any SD media.

So, it can be done, but you need to have proprietry code.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.