[clug] Debian apt question

Mark Purcell mark at purcell.homeip.net
Sun May 4 19:36:24 EST 2003

On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 05:26:55PM +1000, Jepri wrote:
> Speaking of such things, do you know where there is a cache of old
> Xfree .debs?  When I upgraded to 4.3, opengl hardware acceleration
> stopped working.  But I am sure that I had it working in version 4.2.
> But the main archives don't have it anymore.  Does anyone know where I
> can get it?  Or maybe someone has it in /var/cache/apt/archives?

Two places to check out..

http://archive.debian.org contains all the old 'official' releases, so if you have an old
'bo' system running you can still get packages for it, but upgrading might be a better option.

The other place, and this is proably what you are after, is http://snapshot.debian.net (yes note the .net)
which contains a daily archive of every package which has been through Debian since mid 2002. Thus you can
retreive any version of any package provided it was around for at least 24 hrs.  Sometimes this is a lifesaver
when 'unstable' goes bad.

Mark