[clug] info to html script

Nemo -earth native- nemo at cheeky.house.cx
Wed Jun 18 23:23:24 EST 2003

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 11:07:33PM +1000, Martijn van Oosterhout did utter:
> > shift-mouse should work though.
> Thanks. That's not even mentioned on the man page. How did you find that
> one?

I assume it's a terminal thing - though I can't find mention of it in
the xterm manpage given a 20 second search for "mouse". :)  It's one of
those things I picked up randomly years ago (on IRC as likely as not)
and never bothered to think about it much beyond that. :)

> > > 2. No help inside the program
> >
> > It shouldn't need it. the idea of a help program that fails obviousness
> > tests enough thatit needs it's own help... just doesn't sit well with
> > me.
>
> Er, *no* program is obvious enough to skip online help. What's the find-next
> command, that's not even on the man page. Just imagine if it was rebound in
> the config file, you'd have no hope. There doesn't appear to be a reverse
> search either. Just needs a little work.

*nods* those tend to be things I rarely need (to the point that manually
backing up - or manually searching again tends to be easier for me than
to bother to learn the relevant commands for whatever program I'm in at
the time that wants to know. As I said before, I guess I'm just less
demanding about these things... but point conceded. There is stuff pinfo
could do better.  :)   (I guess on reflection my original point
regarding pinfo is that not only is it light years ahead of info, it's
the best browser of raw info files I've seen. Can't comment on info2www
as I've never used it)

> For manpages it seems to be quite useful, I must remember that. For newbies,
> something like info2www is much easier to use.

For newbies, almost any web interface is likely as not to be easier to
use - simply due to the concept of hyperlinks within a familiar (you
would assume) browser. Of course, poor site/documentation design can
ruin all that, but it's always a start.

I agree with the GNU zealots that documentation needs to move beyond
manpages... I've yet to be convinced that info is that solution though.

.../Nemo