Spontaneous Reboot

Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au
Tue Jan 28 15:28:37 EST 2003

Brett Worth wrote:

>On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Howard Lowndes wrote:

> > I have a Linux box which, over the past 2-3 days, has taken to
> > spontaneously rebooting every few minutes.

> Near where the ATX (no relation) P/S connector goes onto the mother board
> there are 4 electolytic capacitors.  These leak.  3 of the 4 had evidence
> of gunk(tm) oozing from the top.

> If I stike this again out of warranty I'll be replacing those 4 caps first.

Is it better to fix that *before* problems occur? A reasonable number of Amigas
were terminally killed when the gunk(tm) got into traces inside multi-layer
boards. No way to fix that easily, and once you got symptoms, it was too late.

	http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/~aminet/hard/hack/LithBatt.readme

OTOH, electrolytic caps may be more benign to mobos than batteries.

Cheers,

Antti