spurious binary output on ls (SEC: UNCLASSIFIED)

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Fri Feb 28 17:57:58 EST 2003

At 11:31 AM +1100 2003/02/28, Lisman, Jarrad FLGOFF wrote:
>Hi
>
>I am getting a weird output when running ls in a few directories. Firstly ls
>will report a file or directory named "?" and if I do ls -al I get an
>Input/Output error and several spurious binary outputs, which then proceed
>to kill my terminal as per the usual "cat"ing of a binary file.
>I tried running fsck and it reported that the filesystem was ok.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas? I am running RH 7.3
>
>Jarrad

To see what characters are being sent:
ls -al |od -c

or put it in a file and use more or vi:
ls -al > /tmp/ls

Kim Holburn
Network Consultant - Telecommunications Engineering
Research School of Information Sciences and Engineering
Australian National University - Ph: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 0417820641
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au  - PGP Public Key on request

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary parts.
     Andrea Leistra (rec.arts.sf.written.Robert-jordan)