[clug] Abnormal exit from install of Fedora Core

Phil and Marlene Carter mcarter at homemail.com.au
Sun Dec 28 09:20:34 GMT 2003

G'day all,

Happy New Year.

I have acquired an old 133 MHz Pentium III computer. I thought I'd set this computer on the One True Path, and get up to date at the same time by installing Fedora Core 1. I chose to set this computer up as a Linux-only machine, and I accepted most of the defaults, so there should be no unusual configuration problems. Package installation starts OK, but about 5-10% of the way through the install, it stops. Messages on the screen are not particularly helpful, here is a part of what appears:

.
Waiting for X server to start...log located in/tmp/X.log
1...2...3...4...5.... X server started successfully
install exited abnormally
sending termination signals...done
disabling swap...
.

Exactly the same thing happened when I tried to install Redhat 7.2

The install process got far enough to reformat the hard disk, getting rid of Windows, which I can't reinstall (no disks), so I am stuck with a completely busted computer.

I would appreciate some advice on where I should look for a solution.

Thanks for your help.

Phil Carter
mcarter at homemail.com.au