[clug] Dropped icmp packets - means what?

Paul Bryan pa_bryan at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 22 10:01:25 EST 2003

Quoting Felix Karpfen <felixk at webone.com.au>:

> Attached is a log of the packets that were dropped by "iptables"
> today.

These are echo_request packets. i.e. "pings". I've been getting a ton of pings
lately on our ADSL connection at work as well. They come from different sources
all over the place.

Could be to do with the Blaster worm? If so, this only affects widoze boxes.

The Internet Storm Centre[1] (they make me spell centre incorrectly when writing
HTML, but I'll be damned if they make me do it here!) has a bunch of info on
nasty net activity. They may have some more info about this. I haven't had a
chance to check yet.

Cheers,
Paul.

[1] http://isc.incidents.org/