[clug] sec: unclassified - Debian 3 halts (was: RH7.2 halts)

John Griffiths john at capmon.com
Tue Aug 12 11:00:01 EST 2003

on the debian route - why not use boot floppies and instasll over the
network?

Ellis, LCDR Peter wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> On the P133 with 96MB and a 'pristine' 2.4G /hda and 12xCD-ROM (IDE) and
> soundcard previously described last week....
>

> After almost a week and then a weekend of effort, my score is:
>
> + [will install]
> RH7.1 (APC magazine ?? cover CDs)
> StarOffice 5.0 (from RH7.2 bought kit)
> [but, I having got this running and thereby proved that Linux would GO on
> this machine, I decided to try the Debian 3 CDs again, which blew it
away.]

> - [will not install]
> RH7.2 (bought kit)
> Debian 3.01 (APC Magazine July cover CDs)
> e-smith (CD cut by member of this list)
>
> Symptoms:
> (a)	says that some file is not there, but it is visible to me when I
> look at the CD in a browser/explorer;
> (b)	says that a file is corrupt (not always the same one, but some more
> often than others)
>
> I have been unable to get a shell out to a log file. :-(
>
> What I figure is that there is an issue with the CD-ROM drive itself.
> I intend to swap it out for a (very) slow-and-steady drive.
> (This came from a Canberra IT system / Netware tech who is also a Linux
> user.)
>
> I will have access to an older Debian (potato?) and the current one
> (Woody/Sid?) from a local IT consultant later in the week.
>
> More suggestions on the approach I might take, please?
>
> With thanks, and in anticipation of an installfest... :-)
> Peter

- --

__________________________________

WARNING -
This email is confidential and may contain copyright material.
If you are not the intended recipient of Capital Monitor's original e-mail,
please notify me by return e-mail, delete your copy of the message, and
accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Republication or re-dissemination, including posting to news groups or web
pages, is strictly prohibited without the express prior consent of Capital
Monitor Pty Ltd.

John Griffiths		Tel 02 6273 4899
Capital Monitor Pty Ltd	Fax 02 6273 4905
Press Gallery 		Mobile: 0412 690 643
Parliament House	e-mail: john at capmon.com
Canberra   ACT   2600	http://www.capmon.com
Australia		ICQ No: 7933859