[clug] Your Best arguments please

Jepri jepri at webone.com.au
Mon Aug 11 04:44:03 EST 2003

On 2003.08.21 21:42, Carl Jackson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>     I'm currently corresponding with an ACT MLA about OSS legislation
> and the MLA has challenged me with the article at the link below .  I
> would appreciate the input of the list Brains Trust on the best
> counter-arguments.  Any and all opinions welcome.  Give it your best -
> there is a vote hanging in the balance here...
>
> Carl Jackson
>

> > "<i>A Great Number of Servants</i>: The case against government
> software preferences"
> > http://www.acton.org/ppolicy/comment/article.php?id=150

One point I can definately address that maybe some people on the list
don't have to deal with is that we (my work) are locked into a
proprietry piece of software, and we can't escape.  We literally have
ten years worth of records in its "database".
And the company knows they have us - each license cycle they jack up
the license fees and service charges, and we grin and bare it.

Their innovation in the last five years has pretty much been limited to
changing the colours on the GUI.

A lot of the software we use is supported by a service contract.  Only
someone in lala land would come up with a statement like "propriety
companies factoring in costs".  Heck, even our operating system has a
service contract.

But why not just go for emotions - large foreign software companies
trying to crush our local developers.  Where's Dick Smith and his "buy
Australia" campaign when we need him?