[clug] Changing ADSL providers HOWTO?

James McNeill james at heague.com.au
Thu Apr 10 09:39:11 EST 2003

| One question I'd love to have answered is whether or not you need to
| have your landline through Telstra, or does it not matter, as long as it
| goes through an ADSL enabled exchange at some point in time?

You need a direct line to an ADSL enabled exchange[1]. You also need to be a
certain physical distance from the exchange (3 or 4 kilometres i think).
Almost[2] all Telstra exchanges in canberra are now ADSL enabled.
But if you have, say, a TransACT phone line, you cannot get ADSL on it. You
can however run a 56k analogue modem link over transact lines.

-James

[1] does anyone but telstra (in australia) provide ADSL capable land lines?
[2] some further out suburbs don't have it.
(c) 2003 Mikal-style-footnotes inc.