Server on small HDDs

James McNeill james at heague.com.au
Tue Sep 17 14:13:02 EST 2002

A full install of RH 7.3 just to run samba seems a bit excessive. If
it's just a server you won't need 1.2gb for /usr. Go for a basic install
of Debian or so. Just to run as a file server shouldn't take up much
room at all.(well smaller than 1Gb)
If you want a bit more performance, you could devote an entire HDD to
swap. ;)
could then use the remaining HD to host the files you wish to share with
samba.
but go for software RAID if you want something more exciting!

-James