Emacs link breaking?

Damien Elmes clug at repose.cx
Tue Oct 29 17:56:53 EST 2002

Ian McCulloch <ianmcc at lorentz.leidenuniv.nl> writes:

> On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Michael Still wrote:
>

>> Hey,
>>
>> I have a large source tree. I would like to be able to have a second copy
>> of that source tree where the second copy is composed of hard links. When
>> I edit one of these links, I would like emacs 21 to break the link and
>> create a new file (possibly by just renaming the link file to the backup
>> name).
>>
>> I have seen this done, but I can't seem to find the config option in the
>> emacs config tool. Google implies it is the default, which doesn't match
>> my testing of what RedHat shipped me...

Try a combination of:

vc-follow-symlinks's value is t

Documentation:
*What to do if visiting a symbolic link to a file under version control.
Editing such a file through the link bypasses the version control system,
which is dangerous and probably not what you want.

And:

(setq
 backup-by-copying t      ; don't clobber symlinks
 version-control t)       ; use versioned backups

--
Damien Elmes