[Q] (Slightly OT) KVM Over CAT5 or Other....

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Wed Nov 6 18:08:10 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-11-06 at 12:51, Robert Edwards wrote:
> I think that this issue of network booting came up in the context of providing
> a silent thin-client to a noisy server located elsewhere within someones
> home.

A disk-equipped workstation isn't necessarily noisy.  The hard drive
I've got in my desktop PC (well... technically it's a floor-standing PC)
is so quiet I had to put my ear right on top of it to check that I could
hear *something*.  The noisiest part of my floor-standing PC is the
power supply fan, chassis fan, or the CDROM when it's spinning.

So a hard drive is hardly the component to be worrying about for a
silent workstation.  There's no point in having net-boot to eliminate
hard drive noise, when you've got high-RPM fans on your processor, power
supply and case.

Alex