X, nvidia, memory

Brad Hards bhards at bigpond.net.au
Fri Mar 8 15:16:54 EST 2002

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002 14:48, Carl Wilson wrote:
> Brad,
<snip>
> "However if you are using the closed source drivers, don't ask on
> linux-kernel or similar mailing lists, except perhaps to troll."
>
> I'm sure you are trying to be helpful, but, IMHO this statement seems a
> little condescending.  A better response to Keith would be something like:
>
> "I'm not sure that this mailing list is the right place for your question,
> why don't your try...etc"
>
> This alternative response conveys the same information as the original
> without putting down the recipient.
I would like to apologise to Greg if this is how he took my response, for it
was certainly not my intent to "put down" anybody.

I also think you have taken this a bit out of context.
I wasn't suggesting that this is an inappropriate list. I think it is a quite
appropriate list to ask this question.

I was just suggesting that if more information was required (after my quite
incomplete answer), then there are certain ways and places to ask to get good
answers. It was intended as advice on how not to get flamed (consider asking
the a question like "I'm using binary only drivers, and I want to know X" on
an developers list, and what the likely answer would be).

I have reconsidered the applicable section (below), and consider it to be
reasonable advice. However, I repeat my apology to Greg if he felt any
personal criticism.

This is [OT], so we probably should take followups offlist, if you agree.

Brad

> From: Brad Hards <bhards at bigpond.net.au>
<snip>