Debian mirrors and sources.list selections

Pietro Abate abate at discus.anu.edu.au
Tue Jul 2 18:18:23 EST 2002

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 06:01:22PM +1000, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
> The bigest problem I had was initially I was using the planetmirror.com debian
> mirror.  I could not get the install to work - dselect kept complaining that
> I was removing critical packages.  I eventually tried mirror.aarnet.edu.au,
> and everything went off without a hitch.  Has anyone else had problems with
> planetmirror not being properly syncronised?  And any suggestions for the
> best mirror to use from Webone?

To avoid syncronization problems I use both the official and local
mirror. In this way I always get a package from the local mirror, but in
case of problems I have the official site as backup. The only drawback
of this approach is that everytime you get packages list from
overseas... but ususally it's no more than 1/2 MB.

pietro

this is my source.list
----------------
#AU
deb http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/linux/debian unstable main contrib
non-free
deb http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/linux/debian-non-US unstable
non-US/main non-US/contrib non-US/non-free
#deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian ../project/experimental main

# officials
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib
non-free