Catching core dumps in a shell script

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Mon Feb 4 12:14:58 EST 2002

Hey all.

I have some code I am playing with which should be able to parse PDF files
in a generic manner. I have a simple shell script which runs the parser on
a whole bunch of PDF files so see where I need to fix bugs.

My problem is that sometimes the parser core dumps, and these files then
don't get listed as having failed. Testing for the existance of a file
named core in the for loop doesn't seem to work... I am not sure why.

Is there a generic way of catching a core dump in a program which is run
in a shell script? Some sort of signal handler perhaps?

Thanks,
Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com)     UMT+11hrs