MS SQL server anyone?

Peter Lavender plaven at bigpond.net.au
Fri Aug 30 14:02:26 EST 2002

* Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au (Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au) wrote:

> To quote Rasmus, if you are abstracting down to something like
> DBI, it really doesn't matter what DB you use. (Since you're
> only going to be using vanilla SQL anyway).
>
> In the cae of PHP, I'd be hazarding a guess that the more popular
> backend DBs would have better supported and tested libraries. We
> went the other way and had a Coldfusion app that we developed on
> MySQL but was deployed on MS SQLServer, no dramas at all.

I forgot to mention that I have also used PHP with MSSQL srvr too with
out any real problem... using both ODBC and the native mssql_
functions.

My last foray with PHP and MSSQL srvr was using PEAR DB.  Regardless
of Rasmus' reservations of using such an abstraction over calling the
functions directly, I like the PEAR way of doing things, and the over
head for me was not an issue that is of any concern (very low usage).

Regards,

Pete.

--
				Due to a lack of imagination,