Debian gripes

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Wed Aug 21 10:01:51 EST 2002

On Tuesday, August 20, 2002, at 04:26 , Sam Couter wrote:

> So you can install tools without being burdened by the documentation.

The inverse is also true - you may have a "documentation server" which
is separate to your "compile farm".  I have a similar thing running at
home - one machine is my "compiler" (it's got the fastest CPU, EIDE and
HDDs), another is the "documentation repository" - it's got web servers
and man2html and info2html stuff running so that all my documentation is
accessible through a web browser.

Interested parties may want to install and read the Debian Policy
documentation - this is a documentation-only package, called
"debian-policy".  It's basically a document describing the how and some
of the why of packaging stuff for Debian.

Once you've read it, you'll understand why bleeding edge stuff finds it
hard to get into "unstable".

HTH
Alex