Sendmail listening on localhost.localdomain

Daniel McNamara daniel at cit-linux.net
Fri Aug 16 21:09:01 EST 2002

Very simple procedure,

Go and edit /etc/mail/sendmail.mc in your favourite text editor (as root
of course)

Find the line that reads:

DAEMON_OPTIONS('Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')

Now you have two options here. You can replace 127.0.0.1 with the IP
address you wish to use or simply place dnl at the front of the line
which will make sendmail listen on all available network interfaces. e.g:

dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS('Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')

Once this is done save the exit the editor and save the file. Then run
the following command as root:

m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/sendmail.cf

Restart sendmail and there you are. For love of tux if this thing is
going to be live on the net make sure that you are not an open relay. My
experince with 7.3 is the default config will only relay from the local
machine by default which is a good thing but make sure it's tested
before making it live.

Cheers

Daniel