deferred mode in exim

John Griffiths john at capmon.com
Sun Aug 11 11:45:21 EST 2002

please excuse my own ignorance, the problem is that when our windows email
clients (one blessed day we shall be free of them, but not yet) send
messages via the outoing mailserver they have to wait while the server does
domain lookups on all the adressess,

which is no big deal excpet that with a big enough list there always seems
to be a couple of adressees who've got some sort of DNS problem, so the
mail client hangs until the lookup times out.

with sendmail it's called deferred mode, where it puts all the mail
straight in the queue and then does lookups later, as it is in exim the
failed lookups go (in the exim maillog) to a deferred mode and sends once
the recipient gets their problems sorted out.

I'd like exim to just take the message and then send it out on the next
mail cycle, a few minutes slower perhaps, but freeing the desktop user to,
for example, send another message.

(please note we're NOT spammers, subscribers pay to receive the government
plocy information we mail out.)

does that clarify what we're trying to do?

TIA, John

At 01:11 PM 8/10/02 +1000, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>Not sure what exactly you're trying to acheive but maybe you're looking for
>the queue_smtp_domains option? Alternativly putting -odqs on the command
>line?
>
>On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 04:19:01PM +1000, John Griffiths wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to get a woody box to send email in deferred mode (we have a
>> number of subscribers who pay to recieve our material but on any given
>> mailout there will be a couple who's DNS server are down delaying the
process)

>> the outgoing mailserver is behind a firewall so it won't be a target for
>> spam relayers.
>>
>> as I understand it a line like:
>>
>> deferred:
>>   driver = deferred
>>   transport = remote_smtp
>>
>> ahead of
>>
>> lookuphost:
>>   driver = lookuphost
>>   transport = remote_smtp
>>
>> in /etc/exim/exim.conf
>>
>> might do the trick,
>>
>> but can anyone advise otherwise?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> John
>>

>--
>Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/
>> There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that can do binary
>> arithmetic and those that can't.

WARNING -
This email is confidential and may contain copyright material.
If you are not the intended recipient of Capital Monitor's original e-mail,
please notify me by return e-mail, delete your copy of the message, and
accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Republication or re-dissemination, including posting to news groups or web
pages, is strictly prohibited without the express prior consent of Capital
Monitor Pty Ltd.

John Griffiths			Tel 02 6273 4899
Capital Monitor Pty Ltd		Fax 02 6273 4905
Press Gallery 			Mobile: 0412 690 643
Parliament House		e-mail: john at capmon.com
Canberra   ACT   2600		http://www.capmon.com
Australia			ICQ No: 7933859