Debian 3.0 CDRs

Matthew Hawkins matt at mh.dropbear.id.au
Thu Aug 8 18:08:02 EST 2002

Stephen Rothwell (sfr at canb.auug.org.au) wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Aug 2002 13:28:03 +1000 Alfred <alfred at mazuma.net.au> wrote:
> > When it comes to dependancies I like the FreeBSD ports system. "cd" into
> > the package you want and type "make", works like a charm every time :)
>
> Except when the FreeBSD Apache port maintainer thinks that you should remove
> all your web site when you update the package :-)

I think taking a backup before screwing with a production system (for
whatever value of "production") is nothing short of standard, expected
sysadmin practice.  But we're all lazy and wish we didn't have to ;-)

Try upgrading to Apache 2.0 (its packaged in unstable, though I'm unsure
how the hell that package got past the RM.  I think it was carried like
a pathogen ;-)   It's nasty on various levels of nastiness.

On the flip side, I was running Apache 2.0 on FreeBSD quite happily four
months?  Maybe more?  before that ... package ... hit Sid.  Nice to see
Sid being what it should be though... lots of broken, nasty things ;-)
rather than the release everyone feels the need to run to keep up with
the Joneses.

Oh, sorry, I tell a lie.  The threaded worker was broken on FreeBSD, but
I had a UP box so I wasn't too concerned... just switched for the
standard one instead.  It had a nasty case of file descriptor amnesia
which made accessing any URL's interesting to say the least ;-)

--
Matt
"So, logically, if she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood, and therefore a witch!"