Debian 3.0 CDRs

Mark Paine mark at paineless.id.au
Thu Aug 8 13:12:50 EST 2002

Quoting geoffco at geoffco.net:
> Hi all,
>
> Could some nice person at ANU burn me a copy of Debian 3.0???
> I'll replace your blanks of course.
>
> And just cause I'm curious, a list of reasons why I'd want to use Debian
> instead of RedHat (which I've been using for the past 4 years....)

This has been discussed many times, and I don't intend to start another this
distro is better than that distro' thread.  However here is my take on it.

Mainy Debianites would say one word - apt.  The package manager does a far far
better job than rpm does.  I have used Debian for around 3yrs and did dabble
with RedHat on my workstation (Debian is on my server).  Red Hat was so &^$%#$%
frustrating in getting packages installed or removed it was not funny.  My
workstation now runs Debian and is about to be upgraded to Woody followed by
the server.

The other great advantage to Debian is the Debian Policy which I think is under
rated by a lot of people.  It states clearly where files and information is to
be located.  If you want a configuration file, go look in /etc and it will be
there, or in a sub-directory.  (I installed Squirrelmail recently and its
config files sit in the directory where program resides.  As part of the Debian
packaging, the config directory had been linked to /etc/squirrelmail. Other
files went off to /var/share.)  With Red Hat I found config stuff scattered all
over the place.  Its a personal preference in this case whether the config for
a progam sits with the program, or sits with all other configs.  I prefer them
in one place.  You may not.

With Debian, everything just *is*.  It works, it runs, its consistent.

If you find Red Hat works, stick to it.  If you can spare some disk space and
time, then try Debian by all means.

Mark P.
--
.sig - TBA