ppp over ssh in windoze

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Wed Aug 7 17:57:24 EST 2002

Grant Morphett wrote:

> Ok, I have googled and I searched the clug archives cause I have a feeling this
> question has been answered before but I can't get a definitive answer on whether
> you can run ppp over ssh from within windoze the same way you can in linux.  I am
> fairly sure you can't but maybe someone has hacked something to do it that I
> can't find.
>
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> cheers

Uh-oh - someone has inadvertently taken the Micro$oft marketing hype pill!

Newsflash - there is NOT one "Windows" (or windoze in your case). "Windows"
is a marketing name for a vast range of completely different O/S's all
packaged and marketed to appear to be "compatible" - but they aren't!

If you want to know about PPP over SSH for windoze, you will really need to
specify which actual Micro$oft product you are wrestling - sorry, dealing -
with.

For example CIPE does work with windoze, provided windoze is NT4.0 or 2000,
but not with 3.1, 95 or 98 (and I don't think it works with XP either).

In the case of PPP over SSH, I don't know if it will work with any Micro$oft
offering.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.