Where is lex

Mark Purcell msp at purcell.homeip.net
Thu Apr 18 20:03:54 EST 2002

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 10:16:52PM +1000, Rodney Peters wrote:
> My distribution (SuSE 7.2) does not have a command "lex" that I can find, nor
> is it part of the fdutils tarball.  Can anyone tell me where I find "lex"  ?

Hi Rodnet,

Looking at the Debian build depends for fdutils:

Package: fdutils
Build-Depends: debhelper, texi2html, flex, tetex-bin, texinfo

You won't need debhelper, but I suspect you might require the rest.

If you were using Debian it could download and install the
missing build dependancies with the command `apt-get build-dep fdutils`.

Which would then let you compile your own version of fdutils, or
you could download and install the pre-built version of fdutils with the
command `apt-get install fdutils`.

If you can't locate flex for SuSE, you can always download the upstream
pristine flex source (without Debian control information) from
http://packages.debian.org/flex and manually complile and install in your
SuSE box.

Mark