PostgreSQL vs MySQL?

Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au
Thu Apr 4 12:15:00 EST 2002

It depends on what you want to do.

MySQL is convenient (and usually available) for tasks that
are unlikely to generate much load. It's probably more
widely deployed than Postgres.

I notice O'Reilly now have a Postgres book, the quality of
doco is a big reason why I get people to use MySQL for
quickies, I can give them a book and tell them to go away.
Chances are they can grep Google for example code.
Postgres is a bit more opaque (at least to start with).

Antti