TransACT network

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Tue Oct 2 17:23:21 EST 2001

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 02:54:10PM +1000, Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au wrote:
> Mark Purcell wrote:
>
> > He said I guess TransACT can't meet the Telstra ADSL price.
> >
> > Analysis. Telstra have already penetrated the Canberra market
> > at below TransACT
> > costs and picked up all the early adopters, such as myself.
>
> Analysis: Telstra have the deepest pockets and an interest in
> keeping competition out of their market.

Unfortunatly true.

> > your services.  I find it amazing that TransACT aren't
> > interesting in managing
> > the ISP leg and make you go and find an independent ISP.
>
> Not really. Part of the problem (IMHO) has always been that Telstra
> wasn't split into infrastructure and a services companies.
> When they sell an unbundled DSL for almost the same price as
> one that includes "unlimited" BogPond, how does one compete?

Well, by providing a service that telstra doesn't. For example, linking to
other people on Transact for free.

> I believe they didn't want to set up an ISP as well. Who knows,
> we may yet see a "preferred" ISP and attendant entanglements.

They don't need to provide ISP services. They just need to provide an access
concentrator that people can connect to and get an IP address. Maybe a lookup
service for phone number -> IP address so you can actually find people. Not
exactly rocket science.

I don't understand the problems here. For me personally, unlimited
connectivity to anyone else in Canberra would be a definite value add
service. After all, how does ADSL compare when you can peer for free with
lots of other people's caches across Canberra.

I hope it all turns out OK.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/