File system tricks

jeremy at itassist.net.au jeremy at itassist.net.au
Mon Oct 1 19:07:00 EST 2001

On 28 Sep, Peter Barker wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Sep 2001 jeremy at itassist.net.au wrote:
>
>> Are there drivers to mount partitions?  Could I fool the normal
>> driver into using a file as a partition?  Failing that, does anyone
>> have a way that I could copy a partition out of a disc image file?
>
> Tried the "offset" option to the loop filing system under mount?

Thanks Peter, that's what I was looking for.  I wish I had the time to
read every manpage :)

Now to start playing 'guess the offset'.

While I was reading the loop manpage I noticed a huge chunk on encrypted
filesystems.  Has anyone ever used one?  What are the status of these
projects?  I would love to have some kind of 'crypt' where I could store
things like password files.
--
I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,