LINUX BUSINESS

Damien Elmes resolve at repose.cx
Wed Nov 28 22:50:29 EST 2001

Jim Watson <jim at amarooas.com.au> writes:

> If I follow the links to the tenders using
> netscape 4.77 (linux) or netscape 4.78 (windows
> 98) or netscape 4.76 (windows 95 from a govt dept)
> the pages are blank although view > pagesource
> shows there is text there but it just can not be
> seen. The "feedback" thingy does not work in
> netscape either, so I phoned them up over a week
> ago but nothing has been fixed. Is it true that
> the "govt guidelines" require a MS IE browser? The
> pages can be viewed after saving locally but not
> on-line.

tried mozilla, konqueror, etc? netscape 4 is pretty broken. does the
site render in lynx?

> I use the stgeorge internet banking but since they
> "upgraded" this a couple of weeks ago, the java
> applet will not run from a local applet anymore
> using netscape 4.78 although this version is
> "supported", i have to download 300k applet every
> time i connect. it used to work ok.

i'm just greatful st george provide a way of accessing their site
under linux :-). obviously it would be nicer if we'd get *better*
support (visiting in mozilla tells me "sorry, we don't support your
browser yet", so i have to use netscape 4 to check my bank balance).
.. and the java applet seems more like 110kb to me, from memory - but
other stuff could be wizzing past that i missed.

> I go to the tax office to lodge my superannuation
> forms which MUST be lodged "electronically" but
> the program is available only for MS windows and
> Mac, it is +20Mgbytes of program download to
> generate about 1kb of fixed width text file.

this is more of a cause for concern. i vaguely remember a discussion
(not sure if it was here) about the software used for the taxpack etc,
but i don't remember the conclusion. going senile at 19, i am. :-)

> My question is this: can anyone point me to a
> lobby GROUP i could join in CANBERRA that will try
> and get the govt information and others to be
> accessable to USERS of different platforms such as
> LINUX?

i'll leave that question for the others on the list.

cheers!

--
Damien Elmes
resolve at repose.cx