Telstra ADSL questions (pppoe technical)

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Thu Dec 13 11:23:21 EST 2001

Here is another isolated test:

file size       23746229
eth0 rcv        25491852 (17492 packets)
ppp0 rcv        29191889 (17492 packets)

The above shows packets are reasonably large
	25491852/17492=1457
close enough to the 1492 mtu.

I ran iptraf to watch traffic and there was no other activity on the
line.

overhead is
	eth0:	25491852/23746229=  +7%
	ppp0:	29191889/23746229= +23%

I say the ppp0 overhead is excessive. Can anyone comment?

Now, the data is highly compresses, so content compression is unlikely.
Header compression is possible, but pppstats does not show any.

my script('fw' is my firewall, 'viewnet' includes the pppstats):

#!/bin/sh

rm viewnet
curl -O http://fw/cgi-bin/viewnet
mv viewnet viewnet.bf

curl -O
ftp://ftp.au.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.16.tar.bz2

curl -O http://fw/cgi-bin/viewnet
mv viewnet viewnet.af

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.anu.edu.au/eyal/>