Diagnosing sound card.

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Thu Aug 9 14:10:11 EST 2001

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Michael Brewer wrote:

> Is there a way to determine what sound capabilities this computer has?

Open it up, have a look for the chip :-)

Do you know the make of the motherboard? Do a google search, find its
specs? Look at the manufacturer's website?

Once you have those, you might like to investigate the kernel docs in
Documentation/sound/. Grepping for the chip number may work.

> Should I be using a different tool than sndconfig?

vi,emacs,cp,mv,rm.... :-)

> Do built in sound cards work with linux?

Some of them, yes. Often the built-ins work identically to the board
versions, it's just a lot more difficult to remove the card it it breaks.

> -MICK-

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   N    _--_|\ /---- Barham, Vic
Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek              | W + E /     /\