[linux-cifs-client] Re: CIFS and Windows 2003 Server shares

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Mon Jan 12 12:11:44 GMT 2009

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 09:04:41 -0200
Leonardo Chiquitto <leonardo.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> > It sounds almost like the server is squishing the SMB sessions together
> > and getting them confused for some reason. You might want to look at
> > what's going on on the wire with the SMB sessions.
>
> Besides the traffic captures, is there something more I could do to
> look at the sessions in the server side? It seems like Windows maintains
> each session with a valid list of User IDs. When the second session is
> established, the new User ID overwrites the one from the previous session.
> Also, I couldn't find something like a "Session Identifier" in the packet
> captures. Is it kept independently by client and server and never sent
> over the network?

No, the server has to have some way to know which smb session/tcon a frame
is associated with when it receives it on a socket. There should be
identifiers in the packets.

Section 2.4.2.1 of Christopher Hertel's book may give some clue:

http://www.ubiqx.org/cifs/SMB.html#SMB.5

...maybe the server is returning the same VUID on both session setups?

> > I also wonder whether the server may be presenting share-level security
> > mounts, but that would be very odd for a server as new as win2k3.
>
> Well.. indeed it is. The shared folder has "Full Control" permissions
> set to "Everyone". Unfortunately this is something I have no control at all.

I think that's still considered "user-level" security. Share level was from
very early versions of windows.