[linux-cifs-client] using inotify with CIFS mounts - possible?

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Sun Apr 5 16:08:15 GMT 2009

On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 16:44:24 +0200
Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo at wpkg.org> wrote:

> Is it somehow possible to use inotify with CIFS mounts (mount.cifs to a
> Windows 2003 server), to monitor when new files are created?
>
> With mount.cifs from Samba 3.3.2, I tried to use inotifywait (while
> creating new files on Windows), but it didn't show anything.
>
> If it's not possible, are there any alternatives to achieve such a thing
> from Linux?

Currently, no this isn't possible with CIFS. The VFS hooks to allow a
filesystem to set up extra notfications were removed recently. The only
"user" of them was CIFS and it never worked properly anyway. The kernel
interface for this had serious problems too.

I think Steve has plans to reimplement it, but it's a major project
that means adding new functionality to the VFS layer of the kernel.