[linux-cifs-client] CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -12

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Fri May 30 23:42:03 GMT 2008

On Thu, 29 May 2008 16:09:02 -0700
Noah Romer <nromer at arcmailtech.com> wrote:

> What does "CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -12" mean?
>
> Is it that the Linux client side has run out of memory or the server (Windows
> Server 2003 R2) that's run out of memory?
> --
> Noah Romer <nromer at arcmailtech.com>
> GPG Key Fingerprint: 944E C2F8 EBEC BCC7 EEA9  9381 1B21 0098 CC8D 45BA

Hard to say for sure. That basically means that SendReceive2 returned
-ENOMEM, and that looks like it could happen for a variety of reasons.
My suspicion would be that it's a client-generated error, but it could
also have been translated from an ERRnomem error or something from the
server.

If this is reproducible then turning up cifsFYI before reproducing it
might help determine the cause.

Cheers,